FAQ on Visa FAQ on Visa

FAQ on Visa

FAQ on Visa

 Q. What is eligible criteria to get Indian Tourist Visa ?

A. Indian Tourist visa is granted to a foreigner whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, attending a short term yoga programme, short duration medical treatment including treatment under Indian systems of medicine etc. and no other purpose/ activity (Short term yoga programme means a yoga programme not exceeding 6 months duration and not issued with a qualifying certificate/ diploma etc.)

Q. How to apply for Indian Visa ? How much time it will take ?

A: Please follow these steps for Visa application :

a. Visit CKGS website ( https://www.in.ckgs.us/ icon-image) and apply online.

b. Pay required fees online & Submit your application

c. Print your submitted application

d. Submit physical copy of application along with required documents to CKGS center by Walk in or Mail/Post :

CKGS (Visa / OCI / PIO / Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Department)

CKGS Application Center
1001 Texas Ave,
Suite 550 (Level 5),
Houston, TX 77002.

Processing Time : If everything are in order (i.e documentation etc.) it will take 2-3 working days for US Passport holder (excluding CKGS mailing time). 

Q. My Passport will be expiring soon/running out of pages which has valid Indian visa in it (and I already applied for my new Passport), Can I travel on valid visa on my old Passport ?

A: Yes, your Visa is valid till it expiry date, but while traveling you have to carry this old Passport with valid visa along with your new Passport.

 Q. While applying Visa online on CKGS website, they ask previous Visa number, which I have not remember, what should I do?

A: If you do not remember your previous visa number then skip that portion and complete the online application.

Q. I applied for Visa on CKGS website but not getting appointment, what should I do ?

A. If you are not getting appointment on desired date please select walk in option which is always open.

Q. I am US passport holder of Pakistani origin, applied for Indian Visa on CKGS website but not getting any update on my visa status, what should I do ?

A. In this case administrative process will take minimum 45 working days. Once concerned authority approved it we will intimate you accordingly.

Q. I am holding dual nationality (i.e. Pakistan & USA) & also holding two Passports (i.e Pakistan & USA), on which Passport I need to apply for Visa ?

A. Pakistani nationals holding dual nationality must apply only on their Pakistani Passports.

 Q. I am holding dual nationality (i.e. Pakistan & USA), but holding only one Passport (i.e. USA), which documents are required to apply Visa ?

A. USA passport holders of Pakistani origin must submit their visa application form along with:

a. Certificate of Renunciation of Pakistani Citizenship

b. US passport with valid Pakistani visa OR Copy of the Pakistan Overseas Card

Q. I am Pakistani Passport holder, Can I choose my entry port in India & book the flight tickets accordingly ?

A. No, you can not choose your entry Ports in India & book tickets until a visa decision has been made.

Q. I am Indian origin of US Citizen, Can I apply for emergency Visa ?

A. Yes, you can apply for Emergency Visa through CKGS website (https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/ icon-image).

Q. I have applied Indian visa for my minor Son/Daughter and CKGS kept his/her application on hold due to lack of Parental authorization, what should I do ?

A. Parental authorization signed by both the parents is must, you have to submit this documents to CKGS to avoid further delay.

Q. I have applied for Indian visa for my minor Son/Daughter, Should my son/daughter needs to be present at CKGS center for interview ?

A. No need for child to be present. Please submit notarized parental authorization signed by both parents along with other documents to process the visa.

Q. I have applied for E-visa and status is pending, could you please let me know the status of my E-Visa ?

A. E-visa is directly handled by authority in India, Consulate has no role in e-Visa, please do notcontact consulate for e-visa, for more details please visit:  https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html icon-image If you would like to apply for Regular Visa please visit (which is handled by consulate): (https://www.in.ckgs.us/visa).

 Q. What is authentic website of E-Visa ?

A. https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html  icon-image

Q. What is the Processing timing for E-visa ?

A. E-visa is directly handled by authority in India, Consulate has no role in E-Visa, please do not contact consulate for E-visa. For more details please visit : https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html icon-image

Q. What is the Processing timing for Regular Visa through CKGS ?

A. Once we receive the visa application from CKGS and if everything is in order (i.e. documentation etc.) then processing time will be as per below (excluding CKGS processing time);

a. US passport holders (2-3 working days)

b. Passport holders of other countries (5-10 working days)

c. Pakistan Passport holder OR Pakistani origin of US passport holders(minimum 45 working days)

Q. I entered wrong name/data in CKGS online visa form, how to edit it ?

A. Please contact CKGS helpline : https://www.in.ckgs.us/feedback/  icon-image OR Phone : 917-444-7911 917-444-7752

Q. Can I book my Air Ticket before getting the visa?

A. No bookings or travel arrangements should be confirmed until a visa decision has been made. Consulate will not be responsible for any loss of bookings made in anticipation of obtaining a Visa.

Q. If my visa is issued, from when does the validity begin?

A. The validity of the visa begins from the date it is issued and not from the date of your departure mentioned on the application form.

Q. What are the Emergency Visas?

A. Please visit our website and follow these steps :

Home  › Consular Services  › Visa Services  › Emergency Visa 

Q. Can I send my visa application directly to Consulate ?

A. No

Q. I have only one blank page left in my passport, can I apply for visa ?

A. No, for Visa minimum two blank pages in passport is required.

Q. I want to visit Sikkim/Arunachal Pradesh in India, how to get Restricted/Protected Area Permission ?


Q. How to get Restricted/Protected Area Permission ?

A. Foreign nationals intending to visit a place falling in the Protected/ Restricted Area in India, may submit an application for the grant of Protected/Restricted Area Permit to Concerned offices in particular Indian states OR nearest Indian Mission/Post. This requirement is in addition to getting an Indian visa. It will take shorter time, if the traveler apply for RAP from Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) /Resident Commissioners of the Concerned State Govt. through nearest metropolitan City OR through travel/tour operators in India. If traveler apply in Indian Mission/Post abroad, it will take around 5-6 weeks to process. For more details please visit: https://mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/AnnexVII_01022018.pdf  icon-image

Q. Is there any restrictions on Indian Tourist Visa holder to re-entry in India within 2 months ?

A. With effect from January 24, 2013, the gap of two months required between visits to India of a foreign national on a Tourist Visa would be applicable only in the case of nationals of Afghanistan, China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, foreigners of Pakistan origin and Stateless persons.

Q. I am traveling to Nepal via Delhi, do I need Indian transit Visa ?

A. Transit visa is not required by a foreigner passing through, in direct transit by air, and traveling onward through India, provided he/she does not leave the specified precincts of the airport. A transit visa is not required by a foreigner who does not leave the ship while it halts at an Indian port.

Q. I am an Artist visiting India to Participate in Painting Exhibition or Music show on Charitable basis (not Paid performance), which visa should I apply ?

Entry Visa : Those going to India for Charitable performances e.g an artist going for painting exhibition, musician for musical shows etc on charitable basis have to apply for Entry Visa.

Business Visa : Those going to India for short term paid performances e.g an artist going for painting exhibition, musician for musical shows etc have to apply for Business Visa.

Employment Visa : Those going to India for long term paid performances e.g an artist going for painting exhibition, musician for musical shows etc have to apply for Employment Visa.

Q. For more FAQ Please click here icon-image